Dealing with an Accident with an Uninsured Motorist: What You Need to Know

February 4, 2016

shutterstock_354553040.jpgEvery driver is required by law to obtain auto insurance. Part of this is to make sure that, if you cause an accident, you can cover the cost of your liability. But what if you are injured in an accident with an uninsured driver? Your coverage includes uninsured motorist coverage, but this may not be sufficient to cover your losses. In these circumstances, you may need an attorney to help protect your interests.

Pursuing the Other Driver

One option you have in these circumstances is to sue the other driver. Even if that driver is not insured, he or she may have assets against which you can collect a judgment. A good personal injury attorney can help you investigate the other driver by bringing suit and then using the discovery process to identify sources of recovery for you.

This can be complicated, and may even involve difficulty finding the other driver to pursue a claim. A good attorney has investigators and tools at his or her disposal to help you track the person down and gain the recovery you deserve.

Your Insurer

When you file a claim with your insurer, your uninsured motorist coverage comes with limits up to which the insurer will pay. The insurer then pursues the other driver through a process called subrogation. The insurer may even assign an attorney to your case.

Unfortunately, you don't always know whether that attorney will represent your best interests. After all, he or she works for the insurance company, and even though the law requires that they also represent your best interests, you may be better off finding an attorney you trust.

If you have been in an accident with an uninsured motorist, you don't want to try to face the process alone. Fortunately, we are ready and able to help you get the recovery you need. Contact Stern and Stern today to get started.